2017-2018 Mark Twain Nominees
(I am splitting the list with our librarian Ms. Harden… the first six are my responsibility. I will probably read some of the others… I am enjoying getting into the Mark Twain Lists again!)
- Took by Mary Downing Hahn – read when I saw it on the preliminary list.
- Book Scavinger by Jennifer Chambliss Bertman – Read and LOVE LOVE LOVE
The Worst Class Trip Ever by Dave Barry– Started July 4, 2017 – completed July 12, 2017 The War that Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley– Started July 3, 2017 – completed July 7th. Amazing book… Wonderful characters. Beneath by Roland SmithFinished July 16, 2017
- Only Game by Mike Lupica
- All the Answers by Kate Messner
- House Arrest by K. A. Holt
- Echo by Pam Munoz Ryan
- Fish in a Tree by Lynda Mullaly Hunt
- Webster: Tale of an Outlaw by Ellen Emerson White
- The Doublecross (And Other Skills I Learned as a Superspy) by Jackson Pearce
2003 – 2004 Mark Twain Nominees
The first books listed will be books I haven’t read before… the second set will be books I wish to reread to be sure I can give accurate recomendations to my library students.)
- Love, Ruby Lavender by Deborah Wiles
- Parsifals’s Page by Gerald Morris
- Pearl Harbor Warriors by Dorinda Nicholson
- Good Dog by Avi
- Christmas Barn by C.L. David
- Anna Casey’s Place in the World by Adrian Fogelin
- Long Way Home by Nancy Graff
- Down the Yukon by Will Hobbs
- Dancing in Cadillac Light by Kimberly Holt
- Fair Weather by Richard Peck
- Daniel’s Walk by Michael Spooner
- Mountain Pose by Nancy Wilson
- The Gadget by Paul Zindel
Zach’s Lie by Roland Smith
- Don’t You Know There’s a War On? by Avi
- School Story by Andrew Clements
- No More Nasty by Amy MacDonald
- Belle Teal by Ann M. Martin
- Touching Spirit Bear by Ben Mikaelsen
- A Single Shard by Linda Park
Books Discovered via Twitter and my Book Blog
- 101 Books to Read Before You Grow Up by Bianca Schulz
- Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate
- The Snow Angel by Lauren St. John
- Wishtree by Katherine Applegate (quote from @MrSchuReads “When you put Wishtree in a reader’s hands, you put hope in their hands”)
- Refugee by Alan Gratz
- The 13-Story Tree house by Andy Griffiths (Found via Dogobooks.com)
- Ms. Bixby’s Last Day by John David Anderson (@MrSchuReads)
Books Discovered while exploring Amazon or Book Stores
- One Amazing Elephant by Linda Oatman High
- The Magician’s Elephant by Kate DiCamillo
Suggested to Students by Mrs. Kohl ( my school’s Instructional Coach)
- The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate
Recommended / Requested by Students
- The Isle of the Lost by Melissa De La Cruz
- Diffusion by Stan C. Smith
- The Unbreakable Code by Jennifer Chambliss Bertman – Started June 2017
- Spaced Out by Stuart Gibbs – bought immediately from Amazon for my Kindle after finishing Space Case.
- Fablehaven: Dragonwatch by Brandon Mull – love this series….so excited to read newest book.
- The War I Finally Won by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley – I cannot WAIT for the release of this book… I LOVED the characters in the first book. I can’t wait to see how Ada does knowing she is free of her biggest fear.
- The Shadow Cadets of Pennyroyal Academy by M.A. Larson – Still reading book one… so it might be awhile.
- The Land of Stories series by Chris Colfer – finished first book 7/11/17
AR BOOK CHALLENGE
(I am not going to list all the books … most obviously because I have basically challenged myself to read all AR quiz books in order … and that would be a long list. I am going to list the last two I have read, what I am currently reading, and then the next five… and slowly update it. If you want to see the more complete list starting with book #1… read my AR Challenge Post.
The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare– 5 / 10 pts
- I ended up borrowing this from the public library… they even had to borrow it from another branch. This book is a Newbery Medal winner. I enjoyed how Daniel met and was part of Jesus’ life. I can think of many kids that would enjoy reading about Jesus… outside of the bible.
Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink– 6 / 8 pts
- Yep… another classic that I didn’t read until I was an adult! I am surprised I didn’t read it sooner I was a huge fan of the Little House series… so one would think I would have read this too… alas… not teacher or librarian thought to recommend it!
- Call It Courage by Armstrong Sperry – 6.2 / 3 pts
- Looks like I will be picking up my challenge here… as I read the summary for this book I realized I don’t think I really have read it! I think with the popularity of the movie Moana right now many young readers would find this interesting.
- Started 7/8/17 (audio tape)
- Carry on, Mr. Bowditch by Jean Lee Latham – 4.1 / 8 pts
- The Cat Who Went to Heaven by Elizabeth Coatsworth – 5.9 / 2 pts
- Centerburg Tales: More Adventures of Homer Price by Robert McCloskey – 6 / 5pts
- Charlotte’s Web by E. B. White – 4.4 / 5 pts
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl – 4.8 / 5 pts