2017-2018 Mark Twain Nominees
(I am splitting the list with our librarian Ms. Harden… the first six are my responsibility. I will probably read some of the others… I am enjoying getting into the Mark Twain Lists again!)
- Took by Mary Downing Hahn – read when I saw it on the preliminary list.
- Book Scavinger by Jennifer Chambliss Bertman – Read and LOVE LOVE LOVE
The Worst Class Trip Ever by Dave Barry– Started July 4, 2017 – completed July 12, 2017 The War that Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley– Started July 3, 2017 – completed July 7th. Amazing book… Wonderful characters. Beneath by Roland SmithFinished July 16, 2017 Only Game by Mike Lupica All the Answers by Kate Messner House Arrest by K. A. Holt Echo by Pam Munoz Ryan Fish in a Tree by Lynda Mullaly Hunt Webster: Tale of an Outlaw by Ellen Emerson White
he Doublecross (And Other Skills I Learned as a Superspy) by Jackson Pearce
2003 – 2004 Mark Twain Nominees
The first books listed will be books I haven’t read before… the second set will be books I wish to reread to be sure I can give accurate recomendations to my library students.)
- Love, Ruby Lavender by Deborah Wiles
- Parsifals’s Page by Gerald Morris
- Pearl Harbor Warriors by Dorinda Nicholson
- Good Dog by Avi
- Christmas Barn by C.L. David
- Anna Casey’s Place in the World by Adrian Fogelin
- Long Way Home by Nancy Graff
- Down the Yukon by Will Hobbs
- Dancing in Cadillac Light by Kimberly Holt
- Fair Weather by Richard Peck
- Daniel’s Walk by Michael Spooner
- Mountain Pose by Nancy Wilson
- The Gadget by Paul Zindel
Zach’s Lie by Roland Smith
- Don’t You Know There’s a War On? by Avi
- School Story by Andrew Clements
- No More Nasty by Amy MacDonald
- Belle Teal by Ann M. Martin
- Touching Spirit Bear by Ben Mikaelsen
- A Single Shard by Linda Park
Books Discovered via Twitter and my Book Blog
- 101 Books to Read Before You Grow Up by Bianca Schulz
- Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate
- The Snow Angel by Lauren St. John
- Wishtree by Katherine Applegate (quote from @MrSchuReads “When you put Wishtree in a reader’s hands, you put hope in their hands”)
- Refugee by Alan Gratz
- The 13-Story Tree house by Andy Griffiths (Found via Dogobooks.com)
- Ms. Bixby’s Last Day by John David Anderson (@MrSchuReads)
Books Discovered while exploring Amazon or Book Stores
- One Amazing Elephant by Linda Oatman High
- The Magician’s Elephant by Kate DiCamillo
Suggested to Students by Mrs. Kohl ( my school’s Instructional Coach)
The One and Only Ivan by Katherine ApplegateRead this as part of Sterling’s One Book, One School Read
Recommended / Requested by Students
- The Isle of the Lost by Melissa De La Cruz
- Diffusion by Stan C. Smith
- The Unbreakable Code by Jennifer Chambliss Bertman – Started June 2017
- Spaced Out by Stuart Gibbs – bought immediately from Amazon for my Kindle after finishing Space Case.
- Fablehaven: Dragonwatch by Brandon Mull – love this series….so excited to read newest book.
The War I Finally Won by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley– I cannot WAIT for the release of this book… I LOVED the characters in the first book. I can’t wait to see how Ada does knowing she is free of her biggest fear.
- The Shadow Cadets of Pennyroyal Academy by M.A. Larson – Still reading book one… so it might be awhile.
- The Land of Stories series by Chris Colfer – finished first book 7/11/17
AR BOOK CHALLENGE
(I am not going to list all the books … most obviously because I have basically challenged myself to read all AR quiz books in order … and that would be a long list. I am going to list the last two I have read, what I am currently reading, and then the next five… and slowly update it. If you want to see the more complete list starting with book #1… read my AR Challenge Post.
The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare– 5 / 10 pts
- I ended up borrowing this from the public library… they even had to borrow it from another branch. This book is a Newbery Medal winner. I enjoyed how Daniel met and was part of Jesus’ life. I can think of many kids that would enjoy reading about Jesus… outside of the bible.
Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink– 6 / 8 pts
- Yep… another classic that I didn’t read until I was an adult! I am surprised I didn’t read it sooner I was a huge fan of the Little House series… so one would think I would have read this too… alas… not teacher or librarian thought to recommend it!
- Call It Courage by Armstrong Sperry – 6.2 / 3 pts
- Looks like I will be picking up my challenge here… as I read the summary for this book I realized I don’t think I really have read it! I think with the popularity of the movie Moana right now many young readers would find this interesting.
- Started 7/8/17 (audio tape)
- Carry on, Mr. Bowditch by Jean Lee Latham – 4.1 / 8 pts
- The Cat Who Went to Heaven by Elizabeth Coatsworth – 5.9 / 2 pts
- Centerburg Tales: More Adventures of Homer Price by Robert McCloskey – 6 / 5pts
- Charlotte’s Web by E. B. White – 4.4 / 5 pts
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl – 4.8 / 5 pts